The Weekly Family Gathering – Luke 4:16
Scripture reading for this week: Luke 4:13-30
In Luke 4:16, the author makes a statement that gives us insight into personal Jesus life:
And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. And as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read. (Luke 4:16)
This tells us…
1 – On God’s day, Jesus was in God’s house, with God’s people.
2 – In God’s house, the word of God was taught.
My takeaway from this verse is that if Jesus went to God’s house on God’s day, then so should I. Not out of compulsion, or legalism, but because I need it.
Why is church important?
- Church is the place where believers can love one another (1 John 4:12),
- Church is the place where believers can encourage one another (Hebrews 3:13),
- Church is the place where believers can “spur” one another to love and good works (Hebrews 10:24),
- Church is the place where believers can serve one another (Galatians 5:13),
- Church is the place where believers can instruct one another (Romans 15:14),
- Church is the place where believers can honor one another (Romans 12:10),
- Church is the place where believers can be kind and compassionate to one another (Ephesians 4:32).
When you trusted Jesus Christ for salvation,you were joined together with the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:27), you’re now part of the “family of God” (Ephesians 2:19).
And to walk in the footsteps of Jesus is to have a close and intimate walk with our brothers and sisters in Christ. And saints, there’s nothing that draws us closer together than a weekly family gathering.
The next time your family in Christ comes together, make it a point to be there. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did.
What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. (1 Corinthians 14:26)
We can change the world, one life at a time…