Six Reasons to Obey God’s Word
And it happened, as He spoke these things, that a certain woman from the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, “Blessed is the womb that bore You, and the breasts which nursed You!”
– Luke 11:27
As Jesus was teaching about the kingdom of God, seemingly out of nowhere a woman in the crowd shouts out “Jesus, you’re mom must be so proud of you!” OK, that might be the 21st century version, but in effect way the woman was proclaiming how blessed Mary must be to have a son like Jesus! To which Jesus responded;
But He said, “More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”
– Luke 11:27-28
Now don’t misunderstand, Jesus wasn’t diminishing his mother; He was simply pointing the woman, and the crowd gathered around Him, to a higher truth… The source of true blessing.
See sometimes we think of being “blessed” in terms of comfort, or abundance. If someone owns a large beautiful home, has good health, or lives in a beautiful area, we think of them as blessed. But is that true blessing?
Well, in this short exchange, Jesus offers an alternative definition of being blessed: The person who reads, understands, and obeys God’s word is the person who is truly blessed. And the blessing isn’t just a one-time, here-you-go blessing… the blessing is multi-faceted, and continual, including every aspect of our life!
Here are six ways we’ll be blessed if we obey God’s word:
- Obedience to God’s word unlocks God’s faithfulness to us – “Therefore know that the Lord your God, He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations with those who love Him and keep His commandments” (Deut. 7:9).
- Obedience to God’s word opens to door to success in our endeavors – He sought God during the days of Zechariah, who instructed him in the fear of God. As long as he sought the LORD, God gave him success. (2 Chronicles 26:5 NIV)
- Obedience to God’s word places us in a special position with God – “Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep my covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine” (Ex. 19:5).
- Obedience to God’s word assures that will be well for us, and our children – Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other. Keep his decrees and commands, which I am giving you today, so that it may go well with you and your children after you and that you may live long in the land the LORD your God gives you for all time. (Deuteronomy 4:39-40 NIV)
- Obedience to God’s word brings us a life of peace, even our enemies will be at peace with us! – When a man’s ways are pleasing to the LORD, he makes even his enemies live at peace with him.
(Proverbs 16:7 NIV)
- Obedience to God’s word confirms our love for Him – Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. (John 14:23-24 NIV)
We can change the world, one life at a time…